Tuesday, July 28, 2009

More serious note

This last week has been a tough one on Dan and his family. Daniel's Grandma passed away.

I feel like Daniel's relatives have done such a great job explaining what a wonderful and unique woman she was. She lost her battle with cancer after extensive treatment this last year. She went through so much and was more than ready to be with her Heavenly Father. I wish I could put in words how much we loved this lady and the example she is to this family. This woman was as old fashioned as you get, but more aware of the world around us than most others!

I didn't know Grandma as well as others, but here is what I do know. Grandma was the backbone of my husbands family. The reason I can sit here and tell you what a wonderful person she is, is because I know her family. Bruce (her son, my father in law) is the most intricate perfectionist I know. He has more heart then he ever lets onto and knows how to lay down the law. He has a strong testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day Saints, but doesn't flaunt it. He would do anything in a second for anyone in his family.

Than there is my husband which was raised by Bruce and spent thousands of hours in Grandma's company. Daniel had plenty to say about most of his family members when we started dating. The only thing he would ever say about Grandma even up until today is how much he admired and loved her. I believe him with all my heart because I know Daniel and he was raised by her family. Dan is not perfect (neither am I) . But my hubby is a unique person. He has such a drive in him. He works hard and plays hard. He is a mommas boy. No matter how well he accomplishes a task, he always says I could have done better. He won't step on toes no matter how tempting. He took the long road, the road which was best for his family and married me in the temple. Grandma taught her family discipline and the benefits to it, and it shows through and through with Dan. Most of all Daniel knows what comes first. He loves and fears God and every once and a while will share his strong testimony of the gospel. Then there is his wife and family. He drops everything for us. Lastly would be his career, he has tried his best to do what he wants in life and his hard work is paying off.

I may not have the wonderful memories of being a kid at grandma's, or any stories to tell about her backyard. But what I do have is the wonderful legacy she has left behind. Anyone can say she was truly an amazing person by looking at who she has left behind. And as my heart aches for Grandpa that must bare the wounds of an empty pillow by his side and for her children who may have not been as ready as her to say goodbye, my heart is warmed in knowing that she left blessings on this earth for all to take advantage of and God has taken her under his wing until Grandpa makes the journey to be with her.

6 comments:

Kari said...

Such a nice tribute, Holly! I'm sure it was hard on Dan to miss the funeral. She is in a better place. At the graveside ceremony we sang a hymn (not sure exactly what it is called) that was for Grandpa. ..."O Savior, stay this night with me; Behold, 'tis eventide." I cried my eyes out. That hymn always gets to me, but singing it knowing Grandpa's loss made my heart ache. Love you guys!

Defy Gravity said...

ditto with Kari. :) miss you.

Julienne said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss in the family. Grandma's are never easy to let go because they are always such great people. by the way I didn't know you prego again so I wanted to congratulate you two on that as well. I hope time helps ease the pain.

Kathy & Steve said...

Holly - I don't always comment but I do read, and enjoy, all of your posts. I feel like I know your little family through your stories and photos. I miss you girl! Aunt K

Jamie said...

I am so sorry about the loss of Dans grandma! I knew she was ill but I didn't know that she had passed. We are thinking you of you guys. And it is so wonderful we know the plan of salvation and the happiness here after. This was such a sweet tribute! We love you guys tell Dan we are thinking of him!

Kaydee and the boys said...

That was a very heart felt tribute and I loved it. Thanks so much Holly!