Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Start Charging

Ok, so my two year is a tough one. I feel so bad that my Dad had to deal with 4 girls! I have been researching different ways to discipline Hadley. Because I have tried everything and some days can be more than just frustrating. Anyhoo... I asked my sister in law (because she has 3 angel girls) and she recommended a book called "Love and Logic from birth to six years." I was so desperate the day I got my book in the mail I read about 3/4 that night. It's has some good ideas and some not my style ideas, but I have got to try something so I have been slowly putting things into action. It's all about letting your kids think for themselves and realize the consequences of their actions. In the book it tells you how to deal with kids fighting in the car, because it is super hard to enforce anything while you are trying to drive a car with out killing anybody. You are simply suppose to let the child know that you will start charging them a fee for every minute they choose to carry on. The fee can be whatever mom chooses like toys, money, etc. So to make a long story semi short the following is the story of our car ride today.
Hadley starts bugging Hayden. Grabbing his shirt and trying to hold his hand.
Hayden is freaking out "mom! Hadley's bugging me."
Me "Hadley PLEASE leave your brother alone."
Hadley with a big smile continues.
Me "Okay Hadley if your are going to bug people in the car, I am going to start charging you! I think I am going to charge you your dolly's, I think I will charge you with your Ariel first!"
Hadley starts screaming at me and continuing to bug her brother.
Me (PS you are not suppose to ever explain yourself or talk back, but it is SO HARD not to) "Alright Hadley I am charging you your Ariel doll!"
Hayden "Mom, you don't have to charge me. I am a good boy mom."
Me "Thank you Hayden, I will not have to charge you." (Hadley still screaming at me and me trying my hardest not to start yelling)
Hayden " Mom, do you need a plug?"
Me trying my hardest to just ignore everyone and everything besides the road.
Hayden " MOM! Are you going to get a plug?"
Me "Hayden what on earth are you talking about??"
Hayden "A Plug... so you can charge Hadley's dolly."

3 comments:

Kari said...

LOL! Literally laughing so hard. Just remember, "this to shall pass". I find myself yelling A LOT (the reason I got the book). You're not alone.
For me, I know no different (thankgoodness), but to you- hang in there.
I use to struggle with Ellie so much. Jason always said it was because she is exactly like me. Maybe true, it has slowly gotten a little better.

Jess said...

That is awesome. Hayden is such a crack up!

Heidi said...

I think we all struggle with the fighting in the car issue!! Gosh, your kids are getting so big and that is so cute what Hayden said!